Create positive change within Churchlands Senior High School for LGBTQ+ individuals
46 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
46 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
The aim of this petition is to encourage the following changes within our school:
Improve the school system
- students should be able to change their name on the roll without parents being involved
- a gender-neutral toilet should be introduced
- students' pronouns should be on the roll and be able to be changed at any time
- teachers should be trained to incorporate gender-neutral language into their teaching- e.g. saying 'Everyone' instead of 'girls and boys'
Improve the health curriculum
The following topics should be taught in classrooms at an age-appropriate level:
- sex education for gay and trans people
- how to know if you are gay or transgender, and the effects of heteronormativity, gender dysphoria and compulsory heterosexuality feels like
- how to assess if it is safe to come out to people (friends, family members) and ways to do so, as well as what to do if it does not go well (where to go if you get kicked out of the house)
- better education on pronouns- how pronouns do not necessarily equal gender, gender neutral pronouns, neopronouns, and how multiple sets of pronouns can be used at once