Opposing the closure of Corpus' sportsground
151 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
151 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
This is an online collection of the names of Corpus alumni opposed to the proposed closure of the sportsground.
It was announced to the student body at the start of this Hilary Term that the sportsground will close at Easter. Mike the groundsman has been given three months' notice that he will not only lose his job, but also his flat.
Sports facilities will only be provided via a groundshare with University College and it has been suggested that sports teams should end up merging with Univ, to the detriment of college spirit and also long-standing alliances (eg Linacre).
As well as signing here, please also convey your disapproval at this plan to the college.
We suggest sending emails to
Director of Development, Nick Thorn
Postal versions can of course be sent to: Corpus Christi College, Merton Street, Oxford, OX1 4JF.
Some points for possible inclusion:
1) Corpus has a proud and lengthy, if not always massively successful, sporting history.
2) Many of us while in residence enjoyed the sporting provision of the college as part of a rounded education. Future generations of students deserve the same opportunities.
3) Weeks after the opening of an excellent new facility for drama and music and the successful raising of £10m+ through the alumni appeal it seems jarring to damage so severely the cross-curricular life of the college.
4) This will materially adversely affect admissions.
5) Whether or not such a narrow-minded and short-sighted decision may affect the desire of alumni to donate money to the college in the future.
The college has claimed that the move is necessary for health and safety reasons in terms of ambulance access (yet Pembroke who share the site seem not to share this concern), because the pitches do not drain well (yet Mike has frequently got games on when other colleges have failed) and on financial grounds (yet this decision comes weeks after the successful conclusion of the Corpus appeal and will irreparably damage the sporting life of the college).
Please add your matriculation year in brackets when signing this petition.
We will also collect a central record of all letters of complaint, if you would like your email to be included please cc or bcc email@example.com with any correspondence (or reply if you feel it is appropriate).
The college still seems to be using the sportsground to attract new students: