Complete and Connect Long Bridge Park
Friends of Long Bridge Park "Complete and Connect" Petition
The goal of the Friends of Long Bridge Park "Complete and Connect" Campaign is to realize the full community vision and plan for the Park within the next ten years. This includes:
* Moving forward with the construction of the Aquatics, Health and Fitness Center, as already designed, by including funding for this project in the County's FY 2012 Capital Improvements Plan (CIP) and bond referendum;
* Designing and constructing the fourth outdoor synthetic turf field;
* Designing and building the planned Multi-Activity Center (MAC) to include racquetball/squash courts, an indoor track, community rooms with monumental views, and a large flexible gymnasium space that can accommodate indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball, tennis and other sports; and
* Designing and constructing the bicycle/pedestrian connection between the park and Mount Vernon Trail and over the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
The Friends of Long Bridge Park urge the Arlington County Board to adopt as a part of it's Capital Improvements Plan (CIP) a ten-year plan for the development of these remaining park features. Please sign our petition (see below) to show your support for this effort to the Arlington County Board.
Besides signing the "Complete and Connect" petition, we also encourage you to ask your friends, neighbors and other Arlington Residents you know to sign the petition as a public display of their support for completing and connecting Long Bridge Park. Email addresses will not be published.
Dear Arlington County Board Members,
We the undersigned, appreciate your longstanding support of the development of Long Bridge Park. We believe the transformation of this former brownfield into a high-quality green space and recreational asset for Arlington residents represents a model of smart growth -- one of which we can all be proud.
We now urge you to adopt a ten-year plan for realizing the full vision and plan to complete and connect Long Bridge Park.
1) Providing funding in this calendar year (2012 bond) as a part of the County's Capital Improvements Plan (CIP) for the construction of the already designed Aquatics, Health and Fitness Center;
2) Setting clear targets in the 10-year CIP for the design and construction of :
* The fourth outdoor synthetic turf field
* The planned Multi-Activity Center (MAC); and
* The proposed bicycle/pedestrian connection from Long Bridge Park to the Mount Vernon Trail.