Bring Standard Hotel to 5th and I street NW
46 signers. Add your name now!
46 signers. Almost there! Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
The DC Government has to make a decision by February regarding the vacant site at 5th and I streets NW -now currently a private parking lot.
This is a petition to support the proposal to build a Standard Hotel.
There are currently four proposals on the table (2 for residential units, 1 for another office building, and 1 to build the Standard Hotel and upgrade the parks nearby). You can find full coverage for all four proposals here: http://www.mvtriangleblog.com/?p=4398
There is a list of reasons to support the Standard Hotel proposal. A number of neighbors brought some good points why this proposal is a win-win for all of us living in MVT during a recent discussion at the Mount Vernon Triangle (MTV) blog. Some of their points are:
- The Standard Hotel proposal includes the highest number of affordable housing (100 units off-site) among all the proposals, making this option the most socially responsible.
- This proposal also comes with 2 million investment in the two parks in Massachusetts Avenue. The other proposals do nothing or just minimal fixing to these parks.
- The Standard Hotel will increase foot traffic at all times of day, as well as on weekends. Office buildings only operate 9-6 during weekdays, and residential buildings do not bring foot traffic during working days the same way a hotel does.
- This will bring more life and safety to the neighborhood, which is one of the most affected by crime in the DC area:http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Mount_Vernon_Square-Washington/1871/crime/
- There are already two huge commercial office buildings under construction, and many others already built along Mass Av.
- Furthermore, a private office or residential building will limit availability of public spa to those minimal areas specifically set aside for public usage (i.e. a small outdoor park, couple of commercial lease spaces or YMCA alternate facility).
- An upscale boutique hotel, however, would allow MTV residents access throughout the hotel property such as the hotel restaurant/coffee shop and rooftop cafe/bar, etc.
- The hotel customer base will help support current businesses and restaurants in the MTV area, particularly the emerging universe of restaurants around, which could place MTV on the map as a new hotspot.
- There are enough generic brick monstrosities lining MAss Ave in MVT and the proposed architecture for the Standard HOtel development would be a welcome departure from the norm while serving to accentuate 5th and i as the gateway to MVT.
- A residential tower with ground floor retail will create far fewer jobs than the Standard Hotel and associated retail.
- The site was already planned to host a hotel back in 2008. The previous construction firm failed to break ground because of the crisis, but this does not mean it was a bad zoning decision.
You can find the previous community discussion here: http://www.mvtriangleblog.com/?p=4470#comments
Please sign this petition and we will bring it to the commissioner for consideration. He has the last word on this decision, obviously, but you have a chance to make your voice heard.