Thank you for your signature!
UPDATE 9/1 >> *A Community Meeting was held Tues, Aug 31st @ E.D. Walker Middle School. The event was well attended. The community displayed an overwhelming opposition to the proposed rezoning. Council Member Willis explained that the City intends to fund a renovation to the Preston Royal Library with the proceeds from the sale of the subject property on Forest Lane. The City wants the Rezoning to satisfy the needs of the current Buyer prospect.
**THE CITY COUNCIL WILL VOTE Sept 9th on whether to pass the Rezoning. The vote will occur in a PUBLIC HEARING held via WebEx**
The City of Dallas is working with a developer to convert the vacant land at Forest and Nuestra into a 26 unit, high density housing complex. This is a 325% increase in density. The land is intended to be 8 Residential Lots which are part of Melshire Estates, a neighborhood known for its beautiful, large front yards and magnificent oak trees. The property is Zoned as R-16 which specifies 35' Front setbacks and 10' Side Setbacks (creating 20' between each house). The proposal changes the zoning to become an uncharted zoning district.
The Rezoning request is being made by Forest Park, LLC (Brent Aaron, Bill Davis & Lou Olerio) If passed it will:
- Abandon All Setbacks Currently recorded on City Plat
- Convert 8 lots into 26 lots
- Allow 3 story buildings with Front Setbacks of 5 Feet / Rear Setbacks of 3 Feet
- Create Traffic hazards on Forest Lane and Nuestra
- Create flooding potential to surrounding homes & Forest Lane
- Become an extreme invasion of privacy to existing residents
- Create a heat island with no ability to plant shade trees in front of 26 homes
- Insert 66 new vehicles into a space intended for 16 cars
Because the City is the financial beneficiary of this rezoning request, the typical procedures for rezoning have not taken place. Our Council Member Gay Donnell Willis, has not held a community Town Hall* (see update) In fact, the surrounding neighborhoods have been kept in the dark about the details of this rezoning proposal. Please Sign, Comment and share. For more information visit www.FriendsOfForestLane.org