8787 Venice Blvd Mixed Use Neighborhood Concerns
The residents surrounding the proposed project have the following concerns we would like addressed before approving the mixed use project of 2 buildings, 6 stories above grade and 4 stories below grade with 73 one-bedroom units plus office space and retail:
1) Safety: We are on the Newport - Inglewood Fault line and believe a project of this scope will not be safe for residents or neighbors.
2) Scale: it is much larger than any other buildings in the area and will dwarf the architectural landmark Helms Bakery and the surrounding neighborhood of single story houses. We propose 4 stories.
3) Traffic: with increased building and narrowing of the streets with bike and bus lanes, as well as streets that converge and are blocked off due to the 10 fwy and Ballona Creek there are many times we cannot currently access our neighborhood at Venice and Washington.
4) Traffic Survey: We need a traffic survey once all of the construction is completed before adding this project.
5) Narrow Streets built in early 1900s: it takes a 3 point turn to exit driveways on Helms and Hutchison and two cars cannot pass at the same time. Adding 73 one-bedroom units and office and retail will make the streets way too crowded. We would like closer to 20 or 40 with 2 and 3 bedroom options.
6) No bonus density: the streets are not built for this sort of traffic as stated above.
7) Housing needs: we need shared housing options. We have 3 newborns and 2 pregnancies on Hutchison alone. We need options for growing families of 2 and 3 bedroom units. Offering only 1 bedroom units increases vacancy, doesn't allow for seniors with caregivers, people working from home, or sharing expenses with roommates. 1 bedrooms do not suit the needs of the neighborhood.
8) Setbacks and community space: With covid and the need for outdoor dining there needs to be setbacks on Venice in case people are forced to be outside again; Room for outdoor dining.
9) Free parking: It is not enough to offer parking if it is not free. There is almost no parking in the neighborhood, parking must be free and quick and easy to access. Residents of this project must NOT be eligible for residential parking permits in writing. We are not sure how long it takes to get a car in and out of automated parking.
10) Charm: This neighborhood and Helms Bakery is comprised of houses built in early 1900s and that is what brings value to our streets. Square glass buildings hurts our charm and the reason people buy on our streets.
11) Dog run: There is a dog washing station but no space to walk dogs, this means 73 dog elegible units will have to walk dogs in the neighbor's yards.
To read more in depth on each aspect: https://tinyurl.com/8787venice
To read more about WEST ADAMS – BALDWIN HILLS – LEIMERT COMMUNITY PLAN IMPLEMENTATION OVERLAY (CPIO) Venice National TOD Subareahttps://planning.lacity.org/odocument/fb76981a-0dd...