Build more affordable social homes in Southwark, London.
84 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
84 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
The Aylesbury estate in Southwark is due to be regenerated by demolishing the current estate and completely rebuilding the structure. We want to raise awareness of how this regeneration will effect ordinary, working class people and how it could be made more reasonable for everyone,
- Many people will be priced out of the places they once called home and are forced into accepting insulting compulsory buy orders.
- There are no plans to rebuild the quantity of social housing that currently stand, which leaves current tenants homeless and some forced to leave London all together.
- Some tenants are put into temporary accommodation for the process of the regeneration but due to the high rent prices will never be able to move back into the new build.
We have interviewed residents of the estate about the regeneration who have said:
- They are being downsized during the process but are having to pay more for rent and bills.
- Home owners are being offered 1/3 of their property value and being moved into properties that they will need to pay rent on