Who Decides? Parents, Not Politicians.
We are concerned New Yorkers taking a stand against legislation that would mandate HPV and flu vaccines for children in order to attend school, that would allow minors to receive vaccinations without parental knowledge or consent, that would require doctors to submit their medical recommendations for approval by the Department of Health bureaucrats, and would mandate controversial sexuality education beginning as early as kindergarten.
Currently, parents, in consultation with their doctors, make health decisions. With full access to important health history and trusted medical advice, parents consider the risks and benefits of each vaccine and make an informed decision. Doctors decide when a given vaccine is contraindicated. Sex education already exists in New York schools. Further mandates on the topic of sexuality education are uncalled for and usurp parental discretion and authority.
We, the undersigned, urge our elected officials to oppose:
- S298b/A2912a, which mandates the controversial HPV shot for all children born after January 1, 2009 in order to attend school in NY;
- S2276/A2316, which mandates an annual flu shot for all babies and children in order to attend daycare, preschool, and school K-12 in NY;
- S3899a/A973a, which grants health care practitioners the right to give babies and children Hep B and HPV vaccines (and any other vaccines approved for the treatment of sexually transmitted viruses/diseases) without their parent’s knowledge or consent;
- S4244c/A6564c, which grants health care practitioners the right to administer any vaccine approved by the Department of Health to minors 14+ years old without their parent’s knowledge or consent;
- A7838, which interferes with the doctor/patient relationship by requiring the Department of Health to approve medical exemptions from immunization requirements;
- A099, which allows for forced vaccination and medical treatment under certain circumstances and allows for the detainment of perceived health threats;
- S4844/A6512, which mandates sexuality instruction for students beginning in kindergarten based on the controversial National Sexuality Education Standards; and
- S791/A1904, which also mandates sexuality education, but begins in first grade.
The proposed mandates trample parental rights, risk the health of our children, violate the doctor/patient relationship, take away medical freedom and informed consent, and entrust schools with instruction that properly belongs within the family.