Strengthen Containment of COVID on UWRF Campus
We, the undersigned, are all instructors of various ranks at the University of Wisconsin - River Falls and are committed to providing a quality education to the students at UWRF this fall.
- We are a teaching institution and students are attracted to this campus because of close interaction between faculty and students.
- In person learning needs to remain a priority of this campus.
- The high level of transmission in Pierce and St. Croix Counties is threatening the continuation of in-person learning.
- Despite the “Protect the Nest” incentive campaign the percent of students vaccinated remains low.
- It is important for students to get vaccinated not only to maintain the quality of their education, but also to protect their health and the health of others.
We therefore urge a shift in policy toward stronger containment of the virus by requiring that there be weekly testing for those who are not vaccinated. Students should be informed that if they do not follow this protocol, they will be held accountable (see UW-Madison policy at https://news.wisc.edu/required-covid-testing-what-to-expect-this-fall/ ).
“If you agree with the petition, but are hesitant to have your name attached to it for any reason, feel free to email Davida.j.Alperin@uwrf.edu with your name and position (Instructional Academic Staff, Assistant Professor, etc.). A tally of all those in each category will be included in the results, but no names of those who send such an email will be identified.”