Stop Massive Skyscrapers in our Neighborhood!
Skyscrapers are being built without consideration of how they will affect their surrounding communities. We hereby demand that the City of New York impose a moratorium on construction or enlargement of any building higher than 250 feet unless and until an environmental review is conducted. An environmental review would ensure that any adverse environmental impacts caused by construction and/or enlargement of buildings would be evaluated before work begins and before causing harm to surrounding neighborhoods and the people who live there.
In particular, we are most concerned about, among other things:
- whether neighboring schools, subways, buses and other City infrastructure can absorb the stresses created by increases in population density caused by the addition of hundreds, if not thousands, of new residents;
- whether new or enlarged buildings will create shadows across public sidewalks, playgrounds, streets and parks;
- whether the additional excavation typically required for creation of skyscrapers and other tall buildings will result in the release of carcinogenic chemicals, airborne particulates and other toxic substances into surrounding communities;
- whether there will be noise pollution, damaging vibrations, and other construction impacts that disrupt surrounding neighborhoods; and
- how the new or enlarged buildings will affect the look and feel of our neighborhoods, including the views we have, the parks we use, and the air we breathe.
If you agree that over-development is threatening to destroy the City we all love, please sign the Petition, and add your voice to this important movement to preserve NYC.