What is hamadryad?
Hamadryad is a 'low impact' project started in 2009 by Carl Rymenams. Hamadryad wants to show that life in nature is possible in an environmentally sound manner. In August 2009 we started with the construction of a low-impact model home at Stekene.It was built from natural materials like straw, clay and wood with as much attention as possible to an energy passive architecture. In this house we will provide all kinds of environmental solutions that support the daily household chores. We seek solutions to provide hot water, cooking, purifying water, to heat the house, etc.
Hamadryads wants to set an example in which people with similar interests can learn to adopt an ecological lifestyle. We have, already during the construction, received, guided and informed hundreds of people. Some of them have already changed their plans to a more ecological solution and others incorporated have some ideas into their existing home.
The project has put ashore at Stekene, particularly in the recreational area popularly known as 'Bekaf'. Carl bought three beautiful recreation lands together 2 400m ². Municipal and province were convinced of the Hamadryad project and shortly after a meeting the building permit was issued, the first phase of the project could begin!
Only months after issuing the building permit for the model house,the province declared a new vision that can affect the current state of recreational . The ground where Hamadryad was born would (according to this view) be rezoned to "woodland".
This conversion has the following implications for hamadryad:
1. Economic depreciation (Recreation Ground is a whopping 10 times more expensive than buying woodland!) Carl paid a price for the land which, just months after purchase, is made known that they suddenly would be worth 10 times less!
2. There were three plots purchased. On one of the plots was built. On one of the other plots stands an old barn with a small cellar. The intention was to convert the shed into an ecological area that would include several functions, critical for the operation of the project:
- Reception area
- Space for workshops and lectures (concerning ecological life)
- Small workshop (to design and build all kinds of ecological solutions)
- Small cellar for storing food (from garden), cf. icecave
- Storage for promotional materials
If the new vision is set through, the shed would be demolished and the entire operation of the Project hamadryads will fall.
3. The sample house will be in a "extinguish" scenario. This means that no structural maintenance should be performed when the building would be in decline. In other words over time, this new building should vanish. (This is not a sustainable vision according to hamadryad!)
What we want to achieve with this petition?
We want to preserve the destination "Recreation Ground" with all the rights and obligations previously linked to this destination, so the project Hamadryad can fully develop.
The use of the barn (40m ²), is a crusial part of the project and therefore we ask the permission of the municipality and province to use and maintain the shed and / or rebuild it to a more ecological building.
We ask permission to be able to maintain the model house (even if it has suffered structural damage).
and finally we want a fully economic compensation for the loss of value if the destination is still amended. This compensation should be calculated as follows: the difference of the value of recreational land at the time of publication of the vision and values of woodland at the same time.
The fee can be used to still develop the Hamadryad project (if not possible in the current location, in another place).
SAVE THE PROJECT HAMADRYAD. PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION!