REMOVE RED TAPE FOR THE TAXI INDUSTRY
HOW TO COMPLETE THE PETITION:
1. Enter your name
2. Enter your email
3. Provide a comment (optional)
4. Donations are not required to complete this petition. If you are asked to donate, you DO NOT need to complete this part to sign the petition. Simply close the tab or your browser.
5. Check your email to ensure you receive email confirmation
WHAT WE KNOW:
1. By removing archaic legislation we can reduce traffic congestion, GHG emissions, the length of wait times and make taxis more competitive with ride hailing on a level playing field
2. The Taxi industry matters to our economy.
3. The Ridesharing industry is an important addition to our economy.
4. However, the red tape for the taxi industry must be removed so that taxis can cross city boundaries and pick up and drop off passengers wherever they need to.
1. Ridesharing companies have been given large operating areas by the Passenger Transportation Board in British Columbia. For example, Region 1 encompasses an area from Whistler to Hope and includes Squamish-Lillooet, Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley Regional Districts.
2. Local taxi companies were promised a fair and level playing field to compete with the ridesharing industry. This has not happened.
3. Currently, archaic government red tape forces taxis to drive back empty (deadhead) after dropping off passengers in neighbouring municipalities. Deadheading leads to inefficient use of taxi fleets, increased congestion, GHG emissions, higher costs, longer wait times for passengers and lower-income for drivers.
CALL TO ACTION AND WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE:
Call on BC Transportation Minister, Hon. Claire Trevena to:
Remove archaic taxi boundaries and allow the 2,500 taxis in Metro Vancouver to pick-up and drop-off anywhere in the Lower Mainland to serve the public better.
Local taxis want to compete with ride-hailing companies, but on a level playing field, without any boundaries. This will be true economic action that will improve customer service.
DEADLINE TO SIGN IS MARCH 31
*Donations are not required to complete this petition. If asked, this is a donation to ipetitions.com and not to the Surrey Board of Trade, Sunshine Cabs or any affiliate organization.