Promote Brian Wright to Permanent Head Coach of the Florida Atlantic University Football Team
Dear Pat Chun and the Florida Atlantic University Board of Trustees,
We firmly believe that the next head coach for the Florida Atlantic University football team should be the current interim head coach, Brian Wright.
Since taking over the 2-6 football team from former head coach Carl Pelini, interim head coach Brian Wright has:
- Energized the FAU fanbase, who now rally behind his catchphrase, "hold the rope."
- Gone undefeated, leading the team to three straight victories including the complete demoralization of a bowl-eligible team (Tulane).
- Outscored opponents 130-34 in those three straight victories, including a 45-point margin of victory versus New Mexico State, an FAU record.
- Elevated the FAU passing defense to fourth in the nation.
- Guided several FAU players to Conference USA awards.
- Brought together the team as a family and earned their respect.
- Completely wiped away the negative stigma associated with FAU football after the Pelini debacle.
- Reversed the kicking problems of Mitch Anderson, who is now making field goals at a high level.
- Created a blocked punt leading to a touchdown, which hadn't been done by FAU special teams since 2003.
- Hosted FAU football alumni, including current NFL players, who explained what it means to be an Owl.
- Embraced critical FAU traditions neglected by Pelini such as ringing the bell after a victory.
- Reached out to former FAU head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, for advice on how to get this team to perform at the highest level.
- Shown himself to be a man of incredible character and dignity.
- Surprised ESPN's Ken LaVicka by attracting the "largest showing for a coach's radio show in years."
- Demonstrated incredible school spirit.
And perhaps most importantly,
- "made FAU football fun again."
We respectfully request that you promote Brian Wright to permanent head coach of the Florida Atlantic University football team. In doing so, it will allow FAU to:
- Prevent the inevitable rebuilding years as a new head coach brings in his own coaching staff and overhauls the system
- Maintain the winning performance demonstrated thus far;
- Maintain the bonds that have formed between the FAU coaching staff and the players;
- Maintain continuity with our current recruiting class.
- To generate the same level of excitement that FAU experienced back in 2007 and 2008.
Brian Wright knows our system, knows our guys and knows what it means to be an Owl. He lives and breathes FAU, he doesn't use us as a stepping stone. He knows how to succeed in our system with our resources and has created a dominant force in Boca Raton that could very well lead Florida Atlantic University into postseason play for several years to come - something that hasn't been accomplished since 2008!
Please make "the Wright call" and hire Brian Wright!