45 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
45 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
We are, as a group of WTA players against a rule change proposal that allows only
“the best of singles or doubles ranking for on-site entry for doubles”.
- We believe that with the current rules there are enough opportunities for singles players to play doubles through out the year if they choose to do so (Grand Slams, “Best of” sign in on-site, Top 20 WC). Many singles players choose not to play doubles at smaller WTA events to improve their doubles ranking.
- From the beginning of the year there have been 22 withdrawals from which only 1 by a doubles only team and the rest by singles players; 7 retirements from which 3 by doubles only.
- Unlike ATP Tour we have less amount of tournaments through out the year, thus taking those few spots in the doubles draw by singles players doubles players are losing their job opportunities.
- By allowing players to enter doubles events on a ranking basis that does not coincide with the event, limits job opportunities for players who have earned their ranking by competing in doubles competition.
- We would argue that apart from a few marquee players, the proposed rule changes will lower the quality of the WTA doubles product and the entry of the majority of singles players will neither sell more tickets nor add to the marketability of the tour.