Keep the ONDP Open and Transparent
Whereas the ONDP executive has just voted to delay the 2011 convention in a hastily called conference call with only about half the executive present, and
Whereas Provincial Council Delegates are being asked to vote by email and with only the misleading information from the ONDP executive.
Therefore, we the undersigned members of the Ontario
1) The ONDP executive has violated the ONDP constitution, which states that convention, is to be held every two years
2) Members of the ONDP executive were given short notice of the conference call and told there would NOT be a vote (when in fact there was)
3) The information presented to the ONDP executive indicated that caucus wanted to delay convention (when it was President Sandra Clifford that approached caucus about delaying convention)
4) Provincial Council is being asked to ratify the decision to delay convention with an email vote with no opportunity to consult or debate the pros and cons
5) Many Provincial Council delegates entitled to vote have not received the required voting package
6) Provincial Council Delegates who do not use email do not have enough time to mail their ballots before the deadline
7) There is not sufficient oversight of the vote to make it legitimate
For these reasons we demand a full and open debate about delaying convention followed by a new vote at the next Provincial Council in May.