Nut Free Schools
More and more schools are making the decision to become nut free due to the high financial risk to the school relative to lawsuits, not to mention the risk of children dying who are supposed to be safe at school. In addition, recent studies have shown that many nut allergic kids are subject to bullying which can have long term mental and physical implications.
You don't let your child take a gun to school nor should you let your child take something as lethal as NUTS to school!
· Peanuts are responsible for nearly 100 deaths and 15,000 emergency room visits each year. (Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network, a nonprofit group based in Fairfax, Va.)
· Peanut Allergy is the most common cause of food related death (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America).
· Four out of every 100 children have a food allergy. (CDC/NCHS Study, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db10.htm)
· From 2004 to 2006, there were approximately 9,500 hospital discharges per year with a diagnosis related to food allergy among children under age 18 years. (CDC/NCHS Study, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db10.htm)
· Reactions can be extremely violent and life threatening with just a little exposure to the allergen. (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=517)
Every child's needs should be met at school, not just the ones that are easy.
If we, as parents, do not stand up for a change, no one will. Every day schools across this country are taking a "Nut-Free" stance. I ask why not us? So help me take a stand and let the school administrators know that we will no longer stand around and be quiet when we know something grievous could happen.