New Brooklyn Farms (Mt. Rainier, MD - PG County) Support!
Project Background and Description
Founded at the intersection of a childhood lived next door, an entrepreneurial career started 20 feet away, and a passion for the “real food” and urban agriculture movements happening right now, New Brooklyn Farms LLC is a Benefit Limited Liability Company located on a vacant ¼ acre lot on Rhode Island Avenue in the heart of both Mt. Rainier, MD and the PG County Gateway Arts District CorridorProposed Functions
- For-profit Commercial Specialty Farm - with the primary objective of becoming the area’s top purveyor of hyper-locally grown “niche” produce, specialize in:
- ethnic staple crops of local immigrant cultures
- serve as a partner to local food businesses & individuals seeking custom crop production
- Urban Agriculture Interest/Education/Experience Hub – employing the visibility and accessibility of a premier location on Rt. 1 in the heart of “main street” Mt. Rainier, stimulate local interest in urban agriculture and serve as a platform for formal and informal educational activities of the like.
- Green-Friendly Art, Culinary, and Wellness Event Pop-Up Space – double the farm as unconventional event space outlet as a means of engaging & empowering lifelong Mt. Rainier residents, the burgeoning art professional community of the Gateway Arts District, and everyone in between.
- Provide an environmentally sustainable contribution to the city’s economic development
- Serve as a vehicle to unify Mt. Rainier’s economic community via intrinsic dependency on local alliances
- Beautify & help fight crime on Rhode Island Ave via integration of CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design)
- Sustain the culturally diverse DNA and historic aesthetic of Mt. Rainier
- Pivot Mt. Rainier into the forefront of the entrepreneurially progressive & socially conscious spirit of the PG County Gateway Arts District