I Support a Community Garden at Beltana Park
Support a Community Garden at Beltana Park, Lindisfarne
The idea of developing local community gardens on the eastern shore was identified in the Clarence Positive Ageing Plan. After extensive research, Council staff identified Beltana Park as the best location in Clarence for such a garden.
Beltana Park is an ideal place for a community garden because of availability of car parking, excellent access by bus and to the Clarence Foreshore multi-user pathway, and proximity to local schools and nursing homes.
The closeness to primary schools is particularly valuable as these schools have either limited grounds or no suitable space to develop a school garden.
If the garden is approved by Clarence City Alderman a representative community management group will be set up to manage the site. Layout of the site can take account of visual amenity and how the Park will be accessed. In keeping with other community gardens, it will be open to the community at all times.
A community garden at Beltana Park will provide a number of benefits:
· It will provide a great way to grow food, foster good health and promote an understanding of our environment.
· It will create opportunities for learning in a helpful shared environment, for local school students, day care centre and Family Day Care children, and the general community.
· Provides an opportunity for people to meet others and make new friends, which aids social inclusion. Many people living in units or in the homes in Lindisfarne can access a plot.
· It will bring people into Lindisfarne, which will support our local businesses, particularly over the weekend.
· Makes use of only one third of the Park and will mean more people will use the Park. Residents will not be restricted from access to either the park or the community garden.
· It will be in accord with the original vision of the Beltana Park as a garden park.
80% of respondents to a Clarence Council survey said they wanted a community garden in Lindisfarne at Beltana Park, and over 70 people volunteered to contribute labour and support to establish the garden. However, it is not yet certain that the community garden will go ahead at Beltana Park.
If you wish to ensure the Lindisfarne community garden at Beltana Park goes ahead then send your message to the Clarence City Council by signing this petition.
Please sign by Monday 31 May 2010. Your signature is enough to make a valuable contribution but please let your friends know.
UPDATE: Date has been extended to Monday 7th June 2010.
This is a petition by the newly formed Lindisfarne Community Garden Group.
For more information or to join our group visit http://www.lindisfarnecommunitygarden.info or call Max Bahrfeldt on 0407 335 843.
SUBJECT: Support for a community garden at Beltana Park, Lindisfarne
We, the undersigned, petition the Mayor and the Aldermen of the City of Clarence to:
1. Note that a community garden at Beltana Park has majority community support as evidenced in the Clarence City Council resident survey showing 80% support for a garden at that location;
2. Note that a community garden accords with the Vision and Mission of the Strategic Plan for Clarence City, and goals (social inclusion, prosperity, environment, community leadership);
3. Recognise that a community garden at Beltana Park will be open to residents, take but one third of the park, bring people into Lindisfarne, benefit both the young and old, local businesses and ensure that the park is better utilised as was intended by the Park founder; and
4. Support the development of a community garden at Beltana Park in accord with the majority wishes of local residents and allocate funding for its development.