Keele Parking - Change it back to ONE PERMIT, ALL ZONES!
As a wise man once said,
"If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!".
This saying has most certainly been proven true over the past four weeks, with the parking situation degrading day by day! If you agree that the system should be changed back to how it was, and how it WORKED, sign this petition.
The old system: One permit allowed you to park in all student zones.
The new system: One permit allows you to park ONLY in ONE ZONE (for which you are allocated based upon "amount of spaces available")
These are the reasons why this system is flawed:
- THIS SYSTEM WILL NOT CREATE MORE PARKING SPACES, OR ALLEVIATE FULL CAR PARKS! Visitors will still pay and display, and there are more permits for a zone than spaces. This is the definition of FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED!
- There has been a significant increase in the amount of illegal parking on grass, verges, non-spaces and on the road, simply because people cannot find a space.
- The work at the bottom of Horwood car park, which students were not informed about has removed around 70-80 parking spaces from the Horwood car park. This has been done in a time where there are more students commuting from off campus!
- If you want to visit Keele for the gym, but your permit isn't allocated to the sports centre, you must now pay £3 instead of it being covered by your permit! A monumental waste of your money!
- It was NOT stated in advance that this system was to be run on a first-come first-serve basis! Many were then allocated a far away car park, adding 30-40 minutes to their morning journey!
- Security (actual security, not the policy makers) HATE this system, as it has increased their office work significantly. 90% of their enquiries are now related to permits, many of which did not arrive in time, or were allocated a completely different area to that which they asked for.
- The problem has been left to brew, and the head of security has been unreachable, even after coming off leave on the 18th. He is yet to answer any of my five emails simply asking for a meeting to discuss these concerns!
- There have not been any parking attendants for the first four weeks, rendering the permits useless and meaning people who have paid and displayed have wasted their money, paying for enforcement that hasn't existed, simply because the permits haven't yet arrived and so much confusion over them has occurred.
- Staff car parks are rarely full, yet many staff members have been seen to park in student car parks.
Change the permits back to how they were. This system DOES NOT WORK.