The creative industry's message to the government
This is a statement from the people of Irelands creative industry.
As it stands we have a decade left to avert a complete climate breakdown yet our emissions are still rising. We are facing a climate catastrophe. Leading scientists have warned that we have less than 12 years to take emergency action on climate change, or we face the gravest threats to our local and global environment that humanity has ever seen. This includes worsening risks of drought, floods, storms, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
Humankind is at a crossroads. Now it is time for our elected representatives in government to act immediately by declaring a nationwide Climate Emergency.
Humans have already caused irreversible climate change, the impacts of which are being felt around the world. But it’s not too late. The International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report says that limiting Global Warming to 1.5°C may still be possible - but it requires ambitious action from authorities, civil society, the private sector and local communities.
Declaring a Climate Emergency is an effective way to engage everybody in stepping up action to the level needed.
In order to avert climate disaster, The creative industry are calling on the government to:
1. Ensure all fossil fuels are left in the ground & that Ireland uses 100% renewable electricity by 2030.
2. Declare a Climate Emergency & prioritise the protection of life on Earth, taking active steps to achieve climate justice.
3. Not allow any new fossil fuel infrastructure to be built.
4. Make transitioning to a CO2-neutral Ireland socially fair.
5. Carry out all the recommendations of the Citizens’ Assembly on climate change.
6. Communicate the severity of the ecological crisis to the general public and publish regular reports of their progress.
There is hope, with the young generation, being led by people like Great Thunberg leading the way. We call on our government catch up to what the people demand – immediate and widespread climate action across all government bodies to deal with this climate crisis!
This is petition is our call to you, It’s time listen because time is running out
Signed: Ireland’s creative industry
Please sign our petition calling on the Irish Government to declare a climate emergency and take urgent action to avoid a climate disaster for all of us, and for generations to come.