Inclusion of Manipuri Language as Associate Official Language in Assam, Under Article No.347
We, the undersigned demand the Inclusion of Manipuri Language as Associate Official Language in Assam, Under Article No.347.
Key points (WHY): -
- Manipuri Language was included in the Eighth scheduled of Indian Constitution on 20/08/1992.
- The Manipuri Literature has been included as one of the optional subjects in the Combined Civil Services Examination conducted by UPSC since 2000.
- Guwahati University, Guwahati introduced Manipuri as MIL in Intermediary class and Bachelor of Arts since 1949.
- Manipuri Language has been taught as medium of instruction at the primary levels in Assam since 1956 and up to Class X- standard since 1976.
- Assam University, Silchar offers Post Graduate, M. Phil and Ph. D. courses in Manipuri literature since 1997.
- To protect, preserve and promote the mother tongue, we have always encouraged the Manipuri students to study Manipuri language at all levels.
- Manipuri being a linguistic minority and backward community of Assam, we demand the following:
1. Inclusion of Manipuri language in the list of languages for Qualifying Paper (Paper A), along with Assamese, Bengali and Bodo in the Main Examination of CCE of APSC.
2. Inclusion of Manipuri literature as one of the optional subjects in the Main Examination of CCE of APSC
3. Declaration of Manipuri language as one of the Associate Official Languages of Assam
4. of the conditions for qualifying the recruitment under the PWD and Health and Family Welfare Department of Govt. of Assam that the candidates should have ‘adequate knowledge of one of the official languages i.e. Assamese/Bengali/Bodo’. We demand Manipuri language to be included in this category. Further, for any future recruitment in any Department of Government of Assam the Manipuri language should be included along with other languages.
Assam & Manipur has more 300 years of connection traditionally, culturally & in many ways. There are more than 100 Manipuri Schools in Assam across districts. Hence, our demands.
Note: We'll adding Background and issues; Elaborate on the Demands
Please extend your support for cause by signing the petition. Your e-signature means a lot to us.
Ima lolna yaiphare!!
Manipuri Meitei Association, Bangalore (MMAB)