Gun Control Petition
October 20th, 2017
Dear Senator Toomey,
The students of the University of Pennsylvania want to express our deep concern over the regulation of gun sales in our nation. Based on recent events, we demand long overdue comprehensive gun reform, including a ban on the sale of bump stocks that facilitated the Las Vegas massacre. Bump stocks provide individuals access to automatic weapons that can fire 9 rounds per seconds and 400 rounds per minutes, a speed that should only be allowed on a battlefield and has little hunting utility. Every year, mass shootings in the United States become more deadly and common sense gun reform can help prevent them. Over 90% of Americans support background checks for gun buyers and 57% believe that guns are too easy to buy. This issue is a disgrace for our country and demands to be addressed immediately. We are asking you to protect our future and to prevent future tragedies. Do we have to wait until the next Sandy Hook, Orlando, or Las Vegas?
- Background check requirements on private gun sales of rifles and shotguns.
- Prohibition of bump stocks.
- Require gun ownership licenses.
- Gun homicide rates in the US are 25.2 times higher than other high-income countries.
- The overall firearm death rate in the United States is 10 times higher than other high-income countries.
- Connecticut’s permit-to-purchase handgun law is associated with a 40% drop in firearm homicide rates.