Edinburgh Grad Ball 2011 Petition
Unfortunately, it seems clear that EUSA do not wish to match the wishes of the student body. Having the Graduation Ball over two evenings has been the biggest concern for students and essentially the biggest flaw of holding the Ball at the Teviot. This would significantly discourage students from attending, and would perhaps result in one night a total ‘flop’.
The fact that the building is associated with students’ university life is not an important consideration for students for their Graduation Ball – their primary concern is to have an elegant and stress-free setting to say good-bye to all their friends, and not to a university building.
• EUSA’s mission statement is that its services are “for students, by students” – EUSA must seize the opportunity to involve students in assembling the 2011 Graduation Ball, based on what students have expressed that they want.
• EUSA should keep the Graduation Ball at The Corn Exchange, while reviewing expenditure from the past to ensure efficiency and make improvements.
• The Ball must remain on ONE night, rather than two separate nights with a maximum capacity of 800 students as would be the case in Teviot.
• To offer an affordable ticket to students - either a full dinner and evening OR after-party only package.
• To have only a handful of great acts, as expressed by student opinion.
Those signing this petition agree that, should EUSA not listen to what we as 4th years have said we want, will boycott the ball and have a separate ball at an alternate venue (the Corn Exchange).
The Reinstated Graduation Ball Committee
(Rebecca Kellaway, Judith Payen, Lauren Rhodes)
NOTE: PLEASE SIGN WITH YOUR STUDENT EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONFIRM YOUR YEAR.