Fund research and clinical trials for ME/CFS in Canada
15 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
15 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
The Honorable Leona Aglukkaq, Health Minister of Canada
-myalgic encephalomyelitis also known as chronic fatigue syndrome is recognized as a serious disease involving the nervous system and classified as so by the World Health Organization
-The 2010 Health Community calculated over 411 000 canadians as having the disease, a staggering 23% more than in 2005
-No medical specialty is embracing this disease, resulting with patients left to their own device, or with a general practitioner who does not have the knowledge or time to deal with patients this complicated.
-Canadian funding for research for the last 10 years equals to 6 cents per patient per year for this disease
-Some experts in the field of ME/CFS say that this disease is just as disabling as patients with multiple sclerosis, congestive heart failure or late stage AIDS
- Recent research point to chronic immune activation, autonomic nervous system dysregulation, complex pain syndrome, viral reactivation, and possible pathogens involvement
-Norwegians have found that 67% of patients were significantly improved by cancer drug Rituximab, compared to 12% of placebo control. Consequently the Norwegian government apologized to its people for neglect of ME patients
We, patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (and supporters) feel we are discriminated against, left behind, and request immediate action be taken by the canadian government:
- Research funding at the same level as multiple sclerosis or better
- Provide incentives to research teams to get involved in this disease
- Provide incentives for physicians to study and care for patients with ME
- Encourage clinical trials with RItuximab or other drugs that are considered hopeful from the IACFSME, the international scientific community
- Discourage any research involving psychiatry as in relates to ME and CFS
- Provide support for all provinces to open clinics to care for patients with ME and CFS and related complex diseases including fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities and Lyme diseases.