Winnebago County Concealed Carry & Personal Safety Petition
Concealed Carry & Personal Safety Petition, Winnebago County, Illinois
"Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
1) The police are not obligated to protect individuals, but are charged with protecting the public in general. The police can not, and are not able to, prevent most violent crime against the citizenry.
2) It is our individual right to be armed outside of our homes, where we are actually at a greater risk for the threat of violence and injury by the criminal element.
3) The Illinois legislature has failed Six (6) times during the 21st century to enact Concealed Carry legislation.
4) The continued criminalization of the concealed carrying of firearms violates both the Illinois and U.S. Constitutions.
5) In States where the law abiding citizenry are legally armed, rather than legislatively disarmed, both public safety and the general good are greatly enhanced.
We the undersigned petition and direct the Winnebago County Board to take the following immediate actions:
1) Pass a resolution affirming the individual right to keep and bear firearms for personal protection outside of their homes. (See the 'Citizens' Self-Defense Act of 2003).
2) Pass a resolution demanding that the Illinois Legislature take immediate action to pass the Family and Personal Protection Act (House Bill 148), and demanding that the Governor immediately sign this bill into law.
3) Hold public hearings on a County ordinance mirroring House Bill 148, effect final passage, and allocate reasonable funds to support legal challenges to said ordinance. This ordinance shall include provisions for background checks, training, and other permitting requirements that are no more burdensome or restrictive than those specified in House Bill 148. These actions must be performed within 60 days of the Board receiving this petition.
This petition is for Winnebago County only. Please sign this ONLY if you live in Winnebago County. Thank you.
Rockford Tea Party -- 2222 E. State St. -- Rockford, IL 61104 -- For more information call: 779-348-5427