We, medical students and residents from across Canada, are calling upon the Canadian Federation of Medical Students to significantly revise or remove completely the new “Position Paper on Induced Abortion” adopted at the Annual General Meeting in Vancouver in September 2013.
We believe that:
- Adequate consultation of relevant stakeholders did NOT take place. Students working within the CFMS and within the general student population were not aware that this position paper was being drafted and were not offered the opportunity to provide feedback on this controversial topic.
- The paper was drafted by a group that has explicit ties to pro-abortion advocacy organizations - a clear conflict of interest for a non-partisan organization such as the CFMS.
- This position paper does not provide a resource for all students. Instead, it unfairly discriminates against certain groups including students, residents, clinicians, women and the pre-born.
Inadequate debate around the position paper was held at the AGM and students who opposed the paper were silenced and did not have their voices heard.
- The position paper has resulted in CFMS approval being added to at least one press release put forth by the Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada. We, as medical students and residents, do not support such an organization or this press release.
- Referral for abortion services is participation in abortion services. This must be changed in the position paper.
- The position paper requires significant revisions or complete removal.
We thank you for your consideration.
Concerned Canadian Medical Students and Residents