Action For East Delhi Required
Action For East Delhi
East Delhi or ‘Jamuna Paar’ area is possibly the most uncared and neglected part of Delhi. The conditions here were already bad and are now becoming worse each day. The crumbling infrastructure along with zero implementation of law and order is making this region unliveable. The roads are in a pathetic state with potholes and overflowing drains. Whatever remains of the roads is blocked by unregulated parking. Footpaths are occupied by hawkers. Red lights don’t function and whenever they do people don’t seem to care. Traffic Police is conspicuous by its absence. Just to cite an example- For poor patients of zone 5, there are three major government hospitals (GTB, IHBAS, SDN) but access to them is extremely difficult. Negotiating through Emergency gate (gate number 3) and OPD gate (number 7) of GTB hospital is a nightmare. Even after somehow entering the hospital it is extremely difficult to reach the Emergency/OPD since roads are blocked by unregulated parking WITHIN the hospital. On the SDN hospital side the underpass near Mansarovar metro station has been under construction for 7 years now. Citizens of this area find travelling even small distances a harrowing experience.
We feel that by a concerted effort East Delhi can become one of the best areas of Delhi. All that is needed is intention of the concerned politicians and officials (MLA, MP, PWD, MCD, Traffic Police, Delhi Police etc). Can’t we get down together and rope in some town planners to give suggestions to improve our situation. TIME BOUND PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTATION IS NEEDED TO SALVAGE THIS AREA.
We request the politicians to please shun their political differences and work in unison for betterment of this area.
SOME SUGGESTIONS ARE
· All the pending work regarding roads, water pipelines etc should be finished in a time bound manner
· Proper maintenance of roads after repair
· NO PARKING areas should be demarcated with strict tow away of vehicles in case of violations. Key hospital and institutional gates are clogged by e rickshaws, autos etc. Traffic Police should ensure that the entry/exit gates are left free.
· Multilevel parking in key areas
· Increased traffic police patrolling
· Some solid waste management program
· Increased police patrolling in the institutional areas, that are invaded by thousands of miscreants and hoodlums on a regular basis. Law enforcement in East Delhi is pathetic.
These are just suggestions to improve the living conditions of citizens of East Delhi but a comprehensive professional input would also be required to develop and maintain the area.