Act Now, Save Burton Valley from Fundamental Transformation!
Without evidence, example or facts, a group has decided BV is no longer safe for children walking or riding to BVE. They’ve manufactured a crisis despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and The Lafayette City Transportation and Circulation Commission is listening.
IF we don’t act now, our community will resemble downtown Berkeley! We are a group of 70 families fighting this transformation for months.
Their Current Proposal:
• Prohibiting parking on one side of Silverado Dr., Burton Dr., Merriewood Dr., Indian Way, and Rohrer Dr.
• Creating a multi-use pedestrian/bike/skateboard path with a permanent asphalt berm separating traffic and pedestrians.
• Painting a multi-use pathway bright neon green on designated streets.
• Burton Valley has a perfect safety record for 60 years. No recorded incidents of motor vehicles hitting bikes or pedestrians.
• Speed humps and narrower driving lanes have already been approved for all roads in/out of BV and are being installed.
• Lafayette’s own SafeTrek Report ranks the city #2 in traffic safety in all of California.
• The multi-use lane proposed is too narrow by any CalTrans or US DOT safety standards.
• Traffic safety experts teach kids to walk against traffic and ride bikes with the traffic. The proposed multi-use lane does just the opposite.
• Allowing parking on one side only make it less safe for kids living in even numbered houses: to reach the “safer” multi-use lane, they would need to jaywalk between parked cars. Why are even numbered kids’ lives worth less then odd numbered kids?
• The National Safe Routes to School (SRTS) user’s manual has criteria for evaluation of success. The City has completed NONE of these steps.
• A CDC study of SRTS programs in four states conclude the success rate of such programs is minimal for achieving more bicycling to schools, only raising rates of bicycling by .05 percent.
What you can do:
• Email: Mike Moran, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director of Engineering and Public Works AND Susan Candell, Lafayette Mayor, email@example.com
Tell them you oppose the loss of 50% of our parking and barriered too narrow, two-way pathways.
- Attend the next Transportation and Circulation Committee Meeting July 21 at 7 PM Link at https://www.lovelafayette.org/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/12582/16?
- Share this petition:
Stay informed, share with neighbors, don’t be silent. This doesn’t solve a non-existent problem!
Please considering adding your address when you sign so the City can see those in the neighborhood who oppose these changes.
Share this petition: