PROPOSED MHO DEVELOPMENT AT OLD NAVAL RESERVE SITE - MERRIMON AVENUE
397 signers. Add your name now!
397 signers. Almost there! Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
- A number of residents in North Asheville are extremely concerned about the proposed DENSITY of the 60 unit, Mountain Housing Opportunities, Inc.(MHO) Project to be constructed on the site of the old Naval Reserve Center (785 Merrimon Avenue, Asheville NC).
- Traffic is already excessive on Merrimon Avenue and Larchmont Road that connects with Merrimon Avenue at the site of the North Asheville Post Office.
- With a proposed 60 units in place, access to Merrimon Avenue by the Post Office will prove to be very difficult and will, in all likelihood, block the Post Office parking lot exit during periods of moderate and heavy traffic. Traffic on Merrimon Avenue will also get backed up as cars wait to get into the Post Office parking lot. We do not want this additional traffic burden overwhelming our North Asheville Post Office or our North Asheville Fire Department.
- We support affordable housing. However, we believe the size of this project at 60 units is TOO BIG for the site, the current infrastructure, the adjacent single family residential homes, and the traffic capacity for these access streets, namely Larchmont Road, Long Street, Edgewood Road, Merrimon Avenue, and Kimberly Avenue.
- The density of this project will require rezoning. The current zoning, "Institutional" allows for 16 units per acre, or 32 units maximum. WE SUPPORT THE CURRENT ZONING.
These individuals, all of whom work, reside, and or own property in North Asheville hereby PETITION:
The Planning and Zoning Commission of the City of Asheville to KEEP THE ZONING for the old Naval Reserve Site AS IT CURRENTLY IS, "Institutional" and NOT change it to "Urban Residential" or any other zoning category that would allow for increased density.
- and -
The Asheville City Council to reject MHO's request for rezoning and ask MHO to resubmit a plan for lessor units (a 32 unit maximum) in accordance with the site's current "Institutional Zoning."
Please Note: a submission without your NAME is not recognized as part of a petition. 'Anonymous' submissions are deleted.
neighbors in the impact area