YCSD Advanced Science classes 9th & 10th grade
York County School District (YCSD) currently does not offer Advanced Biology nor Advanced Chemistry for 9th and 10th grade students. Please read the facts below and sign this petition in support of advanced science classes for 9th and 10th grade students.
Advanced/Honors Biology and Chemistry are offered at every other district in the surrounding area for 9th and 10th graders.
(https://www.hampton.k12.va.us/students/2015_16CourseOfferings.pdf pg. 20. http://www.nnschools.org/counseling/HScourses.pdf pgs 47-48. http://www.poquoson.k12.va.us/dynimg/_FYAAA_/docid/0x4FFB058AB45399F4/1/Program%2Bof%2BStudies%2B2015-2016.pdf pg 41. http://www.cpschools.com/departments/student_services/secondary_course_catalog2013.pdf pg 44. WJCC is not online but these classes are also offered there.)
Three years ago a group of YCSD science teachers proposed adding these courses to the curriculum. The teacher's proposal was denied with no explanation.
It is frustrating to see that YCSD 9th and 10th grade students cannot enroll in advanced science classes given that:
1. Ninth and 10th grade students in YCSD have the opportunity to take advanced classes in every other discipline (Math, English & History).
2. There is a push within the Department of Education to promote studies in the STEM field.
3. There are many companies in the surrounding area that are science based and many YCSD parents, who have advanced science degrees, work for these companies (NASA, Jefferson Lab, Canon, the Shipyard, local hospitals and doctor's offices, etc..).
5. If YCSD teachers proposed these classes 3 years ago it is obvious that they want to see the classes implemented in the district.
6. Students at other districts have a competitive advantage over YCSD students given that they can start off their high school career with advanced science classes while YCSD students do not have the same opportunity.
7. Some school districts add weight to a student's GPA for these advanced science classes which could make a difference for YCSD students when competing with other students for college entrance.
Please sign this petition to let the School Board and administrators at YCSD know that we want our children to have the opportunity to enroll in an advanced science class in 9th and 10th grade. These are classes that should have been implemented years ago.