WUSD Grading System
Westside Union School District has moved to a new standards-based grading system for K-6 this year. Many parents are dissastified with how this grading system has been implemented and the impact that it is having on students, their education and their motivation levels. If you share in these concerns please sign the petition and share the link with as many WUSD families as you can!
Westside Union School District Board of Trustees: We are concerned parents / guardians and voters. We feel the new grading system:
- breeds mediocrity and complacency among students
- makes it more difficult for parents to understand how their child is doing academically and will lead to apathy among parents
- does not give an accurate reflection of a student's abilities
- is an overwhelming task for teachers.
We want change! Please:
- Change to using letter grades and percentages that parents, teachers and students all understand. Product and process grades can be separated, standards can be graded, but we need to understand the grades. Grades should motivate students to do their best and continue to challenge themselves to improve. Grades should help parents understand how to help their students in their quest to be their best!
- Do not bring the new grading system to the middle schools, further spreading the problem. Issues with the grading system need to be addressed before more students, parents and teachers are negatively affected.
- Listen to and act on feedback from teachers and parents. Implement a grading system that is consistent from school to school, teacher to teacher, is easily understood, and gives a quick accurate assessment of a student's abilities. The current standards based grading does not do this and has caused much frustration and distraction for both teachers and parents alike.