Vote NO to Rezone for more Apartments!
I, a citizen of Brookhaven, am opposed to the rezoning of the former Cox Building site for apartments and condos.
I hereby sign this petition so that the Brookhaven City Council will vote NO on the pending rezoning application for 1400 Lake Hearn Drive.
On Tuesday, November 24th, at 7:00 p.m. the Brookhaven City Council will vote on a pending rezoning application for 1400 Lake Hearn Drive (formerly Cox Building). Because of Covid, their meeting will be a Zoom call only.
1. Existing guidelines for this site approve only 400 units maximum however the Brookhaven Planning Commission approved 629 apartment units!
2. The two and three bedroom unit apartments will add more students to an already overcrowded Montgomery Elementary School. The developer told the Planning Commission it would have MINIMUM impact on school!?
3. Property between Villa Christina and the existing Cox Building site already zoned for 300 apartment units.
4. No community meetings were held by the developer for this rezoning as required by law.
5. The 300+ "Linc" apartments at the corner of Ashford Dunwoody Road and Perimeter Summit are built but not fully occupied.
6. Thousands of vehicles will be funneled across Ashford Dunwoody Road into our residential neighborhoods each day via Oak Forest Dr, Ashwoody Trail, Ashwoody Court, Candler Lake West and past Murphey Candler Park where hundreds of children play sports. Murphey Candler Park is already congested with kids and parents walking to the ballfields on the street!
Add this up: 629 units (pending rezoning) + 300 units (already zoned & not built) + 300 units (Linc Apartments built recently & not fully occupied = 1,229 new apartments on Perimeter Summit/Lake Hearn Drive. Two vehicles per apartment at a min. = 2,258 vehicles/day traveling both to and from these apartments!
7. Reduction of the State mandated stream buffers to 25' was approved by the Planning Commission.
8. Overcrowding of schools and gridlock traffic will decrease our property values!
Bottom line: The current zoning on this site is appropriate. Tell them to NOT REZONE THE "COX SITE" located at 1400 Lake Hearn Drive.
The Planning Commission has already approved this project. The City Council has set the week of Thanksgiving to vote on this project which most people will be busy with the holidays.
Please sign the petition to tell the Mayor and Councilmembers to VOTE "NO" and not approve an additional 629 apartments (1, 2 and 3 bedroom units) and associated retail space.