University of Toledo- against immigration ban
"We, concerned students, staff, faculty, alumni, and Toledo community members, call upon the University of Toledo to ensure the legal status of all students and employees who may be effected by the recent immigration ban.
The mission of the University of Toledo is “to improve the human condition; to advance knowledge through excellence in learning, discovery and engagement; and to serve as a diverse, student-centered public metropolitan research university. “
The executive order on immigration signed on Friday, January 27th directly conflicts with the university’s mission and its core values, such as compassion, integrity, diversity, and promoting the safety of students, faculty, and staff.
We urge the university to:
- Not disclose the immigration status, country of origin, or any other sensitive information of its students, faculty, and staff;
- Confirm that the University of Toledo Police Department, or any other entities of the university, will not inquire about immigration status;
- Create a welcoming environment for citizens and non-citizens (Visa holders, documented and undocumented alike) who already are part of the University of Toledo and those who wish to join it now and in the near future;
- Facilitate the return of employees and students who wish to come back to the University of Toledo but cannot because of the recent executive order;
- Keep student status on hold if they are kept from returning to the United States;
- Uphold the values of our institution, and safeguard the rights of all our community members; and
- Demonstrate its solidarity with immigrants and refugees of all backgrounds."