University of Ghana- Distance Education Sakai Reformation
*PROBLEMS WITH OUR SAKAI LMS – ONLINE SYSTEM*
*PETITION FOR REFORMATION*
The Sakai Lms – Online has been a headache to the student body for some time now. As it stands, so many objections has been raised against the system and many had the wish to return to the days of taking modules.
Well, considering the large amount of fees we pay every year, we deserve better hence the initiative to bring about a reform in the Sakai system that will support our performance rather than impede it.
A little interview in the student domain has given as some reasons to the dissatisfaction of students in the online system and we duly want to present these to the University for a Reform.
We touch on problems such as,
1.Inability to access our previous work during IAs leading to loss of marks.
2. Early System Shutdown during IAs making workers who has to seek permission before coming to write stranded.
4. Dates and time for IAs are not strictly adhered leading to students not been able to write some of their IAs – losing 30% in their exam.
5. Sakai been an APPLICATION that can give us prompts.
6. Typo Errors in our learning materials leading to difficulty in reading and understanding.
1. Sakai Lms – Online system should be structured to suit easy navigation to previous work so that students can easily flag questions that cannot be answered head – on.
2. Since most students are workers and that the IAs are taken on week days, we want an extension in time for the system shutdown form 5pm to 6pm so that people who need to close from work before they write their IAs will find it easy to do so.
3. We want the department to be time conscious .This will help rectify problems and confusion that comes with writing IAs leading to failure of students to write their IAs and the loosing of 30% marks due to inaccurate information given about time and date for the exam.
4. Sakai should be an app. This will help students to easily access the system without having to log in on a laptop or tablet. The app will be easily accessible on phones and this will decrease the financial woes of students. The app will also come with prompts which will readily privy students to information.
5. Most often, the modules posted on Sakai for students to use are scanty and with so many typo errors. We want the materials posted to be well scrutinised before loads for us to read for our examination.
*This is a seven (7) page petition that will be presented to the various departments and stakeholders concerned. We believe Distance Education deserves the best and the only way that change can manifest is when we get to work.*
*We therefore crave your indulgence to sign on this all important petition so we can improve the systems and structures made available to us. Thank you.*
Change! Let’s get to work.
Dzifanu K. Pidio
Co – Petitioners
Alfred Owusu Yaw
Mame Akuba Wordzro
Blagodzi Owusu Robert
Fodjour Ofosu Ebenezer
Rebecca Jane Larbi (level 300)
Yarsen Labaran Khasem
Abladey Eric Mensah Jnrs
Theophilus Obadai Sai
Irene Kwansima Boffie
Andrew Kwesi Brako Ntumi
Jones Aboagye Bekoe