Wildfire Safety - Undergrounding Comprehensive Study for Corte Madera
Dear Corte Madera Neighbors:
Please join us — by promptly signing this petition — in strongly urging the Town of Corte Madera to conduct a comprehensive study on the undergrounding of power lines to reduce the potential for wildfire in high-risk hillside areas as part of the Corte Madera Climate Adaptation Plan. The threat of wildfire is immediate, imminent and ever-present. The Undergrounding Advocacy Committee is committed to reducing the risk of wildfires in our forested hillsides that are so prone to the high winds that down power lines - making Corte Madera safer for all residents. The deadline to provide input into the Climate Adaptation Plan is February 7, 2021.
This petition recommends that the study should (at a minimum):
1. Be conducted by a recognized independent third party power line undergrounding expert;
2. Contain specific goals and objectives, and specify timeframes for commencement and completion of the study;
3. Include installation options, like a phased-in approach that prioritizes the highest risk areas like Christmas Tree Hill, and an assessment of the pros and cons of undergrounding if above ground power lines exist in adjacent areas;
4. Include a cost analysis and identify all possible funding options;
5. Be listed as a priority adaptation strategy in the Climate Adaptation Plan;
6. Be commenced and completed with a sense of urgency.
Thank you. Please sign now!
The Corte Madera Undergrounding Advocacy Committee