Trial Kiss and Drop zone at bus stop 51A Gledsdale Road, Hallett Cove
Hallett Cove R-12 School is a large school with over 1000 students. Families are busy, have work commitments and limited time to park and walk their children into school.
Hallett Cove R-12 has NO drop off zones near the primary and junior primary areas of the school. There is a drop off zone next to the high school area but a significantly limited area where young children (between ages 5-10) can be safely dropped off by working parents within close proximity to the school grounds and classrooms.
The bus zone 51A on Gledsdale Road is regularly used as a 'kiss and drop' zone for working parents who can safely and quickly drop off their children (on the correct side of the road) and where their children can immediately walk safely into the school grounds.
Recently, Council and SAPOL have been taking photographs of offenders who drop their children off within the bus zone 51A costing families $124 for each offence. We understand stopping in a bus zone is an offence but parents run the risk because of time constraints, convenience and child safety.
The impact this offence has on the flow and/or obstruction of public transport during the morning rush is limited and although it is an offence to stop in a bus zone, it has little to no effect on buses entering or exiting the bus zone during morning peak hours.
Therefore, I propose the following:
- A trial 'kiss and drop' zone at bus stop 51A for 2 weeks.
- A 'Kiss and Drop' zone to operate between the hours of 8.15am - 8.45am weekdays.
- NO PARKNG and leaving the vehicle within this area. This is strictly a 'kiss and drop' zone with a maximum of 2 minute stopping time.
- A volunteer parent from the school community to manage the zone during the trial period.
- A member from Council or SAPOL to monitor the 'Kiss and drop' zone during the trial period and review/report on the viability accordingly.
Please take the time to consider this proposal as a parent and member of the community. The safety of our children is paramount. The convenience and positive impact this zone will have on the primary and junior primary areas of Hallett Cove R-12 is extremely beneficial.
Sign the petition and make a difference. Promote the idea to others and support our parent community and the safety of our children.