Keep Reading Taxes Friendly For All
Dear Select Board and Reading Business Leaders,
On behalf of the Reading-North Reading Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Directors, we oppose an increase in the current split tax rate in Reading. An increase to the current split tax rate does not further increase the net tax base for Reading and will not increase revenues or attract new businesses to Reading. An increase to the current split tax rate will be detrimental to many of our local businesses.
- We believe the Select Board and business community can come together to create a family-friendly, inclusive, and thriving environment for all to succeed with a vibrant downtown that is bustling with renewed excitement.
- Most of our businesses are small, truly family-owned operations and they operate with lean profit margins.
- These are the businesses that pay for local ads in the books printed for the RMHS Drama Club, or sponsor calendars for the high school sports teams.
- Businesses that support our community by participating in the Annual Tree Lighting in town, Fall Street Fair, and many other town initiatives.
- Increasing our overall commercial tax base with improved properties has been a commitment by all which will provide long term funding for our town, schools and services.
- The newly added or soon to be added commercial spaces need to be filled first and foremost.
- An increase in the split tax rate will put the town of Reading at a disadvantage when trying to attract new businesses.
- Our current tax rate is one of our distinguishing factors and a competitive advantage when trying to attract new development in town.
- Even a small tax increase onto the business community can drastically impact a business' working cash flow.
- Any tax increase will be passed along directly to the consumer, in the cost of increased goods or services.
- These are real consequences and we should do all we can to prevent these circumstances from happening at this time of heightened political polarization.
- We need to find ways to entice new businesses to open their doors in town, and the current tax rate is an advantage to achieve that goal.
Please show your support by signing this petition and passing it along to other Reading Businesses and residents. Also we strongly recommend attending the Select Board meeting at Reading Town Hall on October 29th at 7:30 PM to voice your support and opinion.
By signing this petition you agree to the language above and are willing to stand by the Reading–N. Reading Chamber of Commerce to help Reading remain a fair and friendly town for all.
Very truly yours,
Reading-North Reading Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors