As a Puget Sound Energy customer, I support the “Missing Link” project that is designed to connect the Murden Cove and Winslow substations and other PSE-proposed improvements. These would increase electric reliability for two-thirds of Bainbridge Island residents and help businesses and schools that are adversely affected during outages.
Show your support for PSE projects (the missing link transmission line and rebuilding the Winslow Tap, battery storage, and targeted conservation and response tools) by signing the iPetition and emailing your City Council Members. Don’t count on someone else to make your voice heard.
The proposed solution consists of the following components:
- Missing link Transmission Line and rebuild the decades old Winslow Tap Line
- Add MW battery energy storage system to add additional capacity for peak loads
- Implement Conservation and Demand Response Tools
The proposed route for the missing link Transmission Line is still under analysis, however, now is the time to voice your support for the project.
Background and Impacts
- Puget Sound Energy (PSE) has acknowledged that we have some of the worst electric reliability in the entire PSE system.
- We’re all paying the same rates but two-thirds of the Island gets sub-par reliability.
- Two-thirds of island customers are disproportionately affected during outages.
- Electric reliability is a long-standing problem.
- PSE has worked with Islanders on two occasions to improve reliability. Planned improvements were postponed in 2010 to give the community an opportunity to conserve to avoid infrastructure changes. That effort was not successful and reliability is still a problem.
- An independent study recommended that the Winslow and Murden Cove substations be connected along with additional improvements were needed to improve reliability regardless who owned and operated the electricity on Bainbridge.
- If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that more people will shift to work from home.
- The school district has planned to utilize “virtual” school instead of snow days…impossible for those without electricity.
- The cost of generators is prohibitive for many customers and some just don’t want one.
- Both reliability and improvements in the grid are needed for future demands.
- An emphasis on green sources of power is consistent with electric vehicles, electric ferries, and a means to transport power from windfarms and solar installations.
- Folks with medical devices, the elderly, those with medical conditions and children suffer unnecessarily during prolonged outages.
- Businesses cannot operate during outages…remember when the grocery shut down a refrigerated section of the store or was unable to ring up your purchases?
- We’re calling on the City Council to make tough decisions to move forward with needed improvements that benefit a majority of Bainbridge Islanders.
Important Notice: This petition is being circulated by concerned residents. Your personal information will only be shared with the City Council and PSE. The survey tool is a free iPetitions.com service. Ignore any requests for donations to iPetitions.com. We are not requesting donations or asking you to create an iPetitions account.