Support Roseburn-West Coates Protected Cycle Route
City of Edinburgh Council have launched a consultation on a new cycle path from Roseburn in the West through the city centre to Leith Walk in the East.
The contentious bit seems to be Roseburn, where the plans are for general traffic lane to be replaced by a protected cycle path along the Northern side.
A local resident has expressed concerns that it will "will harm Roseburn businesses by preventing parking outside the shops for delivery vans and shoppers."
They have started both an online and paper petition. Of the signatories, 2 are local councillors and a MSP.
The petition recommends that the existing route through Balbirnie Place and Haymarket Yards is used which is convulted and crosses the tram lines at an accute angle.
When one of the Councillors put them signing it onto twitter, a lively debate ensued with evidence being given to show that bike lanes actually increase local shop's turnovers http://m.fastcompany.com/1682022/want-to-make-money-build-a-business-on-a-bike-lane
And that shopkeepers overestimate the number of shoppers arriving by car
I believe that the best route is down the main Roseburn/West Coates route as it is both the most direct/encouraging for cycling and will improve the environment of Roseburn & West Coates.
In addition to signing this please do take the time to respond formally to the consultation through the online form or by email.
- February 3
- A big thank you to all that have signed. We have 817 signatures and over 250 comments. I do hope that those opposing the plan take the time to understand why so many if us think this scheme is needed as set out and why it is important to us. show more
- January 29
- Petition has reached 500 signatures! show more
- January 12
- The Council have added an addition consultation event on Monday 18th January, 4-8pm at Roseburn Primary School, 64 Roseburn St. This will have large scale plans and officers able to explain the rationale for the route they have chosen. Useful stuff for your formal response. show more
- January 12
- Please remember to complete the formal consultation by 1st February by either the Online form (very comprehensive): https://consultationhub.edinburgh.gov.uk/sfc/roseburntoleith/consultation/intro/view Or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org show more
- January 3
- Petition has reached 100 signatures! show more
- January 1
- We've now gone past the signatures on the petition against the scheme. This petition is not trying to dismiss the views/concerns of those that signed the against petition, but to highlight that there are many local constituents who are in favour. It is important that the proper consultation processes are followed and evidence based decisions should be made. show more
- December 31
- We are now live! show more
2 years agoCaroline Stuart Hamelijnck United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoNicola Robins United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoCraig Campbell United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoAmy Stalker United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoKaren Kinghorn United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoMr Lewis Barrowman United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoDesmondRednapp United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoAndrew Millar United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoYvonne Cadman United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoFrances Weatherby United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoEve Bridges United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoGavin Steepler United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoTaylor Smithfield United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoSophie Gaskins United Kingdom2 years ago
2 years agoJohn Peterson United Kingdom2 years ago