PALISADES: Support of HABR decision
Dear Town of Orangetown Zoning Board of Appeals,
We, the undersigned, are in support of the Historic Area Board of Review’s (HABR’s) decision to deny the construction of a 10,000/12,000 sq ft home located at 246 Route 9W in Palisades, N.Y.: HABR #15-15
HABR #15-15 was denied THREE times at their HABR appearances on September 8, October 13 and November 10, 2015.
The approval of THIS home, of this size (10,000/12,000 sq ft ) and height (41 ft) will set a NEW precedent of sq/footage and height of residential buildings in the Historic District.It's size EXCEEDS the long-standing, existing homes in its surrounding area and is NOT in harmony; which violates the guidelines of the Historic Area Board of Review.
Sizes of homes abutting the property:
- Hey Hoe Woods Road: range 2,000 - 3,800 sq ft
- Closter and Oak Tree Roads: range 1,500 - 3,000 sq ft (Commercial building Yonder Hill is 7,000 sq ft)
- RT 9W range: 2,000 - 5,500 sq ft
- Kopec Lane 10 homes averaging 4,400 sq ft. Two exceptions: 5,330 & 6,559 sq feet
- This house will be almost TWICE the size of the largest home and up to FOUR times the size of the average 2,500 sq ft home.
We are steadfastly against the Zoning Board of Appeals' overturn of HABR’s decision on the grounds that:
- HABR was established and charged with the responsibility to make decisions on the construction of and renovation to homes within the Historic District that protect and preserve the overall historic character and integrity of our Historic District,
- these decisions include size, appearance and harmony to neighboring residences,
- upholding the denial of HABR #15-15 benefits the historic character of ALL of Palisades AND the Town of Orangetown,
- it is agreed by HABR and the outpouring of Palisades residents that residential buildings of this immense size and mass do not belong in the Historic District of Palisades,
- and the approval of this size, sets an UNACCEPTABLE precedent in Historic Districts for future development.
If the decision by HABR to oppose the planned HABR #15-15 building is overturned, we, the undersigned, believe that it will undermine the very purpose of HABR and further erode the ability of HABR to effectively protect the overall historic character within Tappan and Palisades.