Support for WISD Elementary GT Services
The Waco ISD Advanced Academics office, over the last academic year, has worked closely with elementary school administrators, teachers, students and parents to address an increasing need for additional support to the Gifted and Talented program at the elementary level. While the State of Texas funds up to 5% of Advanced Academics, Waco ISD has a GT identified population of 9%+ district-wide. To help fill the gap in resources, Advanced Academics has developed a model (highlights are listed below) that will effectively and efficiently serve the GT population at an additional cost to the school district. On Thursday 5/26/16, the Waco ISD Board of Trustees will vote to approve or not approve this plan. The full proposal can be found on page 61 on the Board of Trustees agenda or here: http://www.wacoisd.org/cms/one.aspx?portalId=428&p.... Please sign this petition if you support the expansion of GT services in Waco ISD. If you are so inclined, please show your support at the Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday May 26th 7PM in the Conference Room at 115 S. 5th Street.
Proposed Service Model Changes for
Elementary Gifted and Talented Services
- One cluster classroom at each grade level (departmentalization is acceptable)
- Students grouped within 2 cognitive steps of one another
- Compacted curriculum which includes a modified scope and sequence, pre- and post-assessments, differentiated lessons, and resource list
- Half day (3 hour) enrichment for groups no larger than 22 students. Groups will consist of students no more than 2 grade levels above or below. Enrichment will include:
- Critical and creative thinking
- Research skills
- UIL support
- Destination Imagination challenges
- History Fair support
- Enrichment opportunities outside of the school day provided by pull out teacher one day a week. Each campus will have one pullout teacher from 3:00-5:00 PM one day a week to provide opportunities to not only identified GT, but also non-gifted students (Destination Imagination, UIL, Leadership club, etc).