Let's Hear your 'Voice'
Support a Strong City and Region
Denis Brosnan, one of Ireland’s most successful strategic entrepreneurs, was asked to chair the Limerick Local Government Committee. The task: to understand the challenges facing Limerick and make recommendations so that it can be structured to deliver a successful future for its citizens and region.
Limerick Chamber is one of the largest voluntary bodies in the region. Our members are Limerick people and they employ people from Limerick and the Mid-West region. They all want to invest and employ more. They all have families. They all want Limerick to be ‘best of class’ in offering a high quality of life and community for all. They all want opportunities for future generations to be available locally in the region. They are all proud of Limerick and they all want Limerick to succeed to its maximum.
The recommendations are simple and straight forward —One Authority. Their effect includes:
• Annual savings of €20m, yes million, in the running of Limerick City & County.
• One local authority called Limerick City & County to run Limerick.
• The elimination of duplicate services, bodies and departments across Limerick.
• The redrawing of the boundary area of the city so that statistics on Limerick are based on what the urban reality is on the ground.
• The local governance of Shannon Banks and Westbury, which are integral parts of Limerick, be under the administration of the new authority.
• That one Mayor be elected to represent all of Limerick.
Denis Brosnan asks ‘Can we finish this debate for the next 30 to 40 years? It’s time we stopped wasting energy on this.’ For the sake of Limerick, the region, its citizens, and their future, the Limerick Chamber is calling for the Government to implement the recommendations, without alteration….NOW. Please support this ambition by signing the petition.