Stop Continuous Bay Area Bridge Toll Increases
STOP CONTINUOUS BAY AREA BRIDGE TOLL INCREASES
The Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA) wants to use the bridge tolls to fund other transit projects throughout the Bay Area. The toll was only $2 in 2004 and has increased 100% to $4 in 5 years, which is faster than inflation. Currently, our taxes and DMV fees pay for all road upkeep and other transit projects. The intended use of the bridge tolls is to pay for the bridges; their maintenance and upkeep. Bridge toll increases will affect everybody.
Allowing BATA to further increase bridge tolls now will:
1. Deepen the current recession, which is one of the worst in history, cause inflation, and hurt everyone in the Bay Area.
2. Worsen the problems of lack of proper democratic process and inadequate check and balance, and put ordinary citizens at the mercy of California legislators and BATA. We need to stop their practices of dictatorship.
3. Take away the incentive by charging carpools $3 per vehicle and undo
4. Penalize commuters who use bridges during peak hours to earn a living.
5. Continue the legislators' conspiracy to excessively charge us on freeway usage and bridge usage so that they can use our original tax money for other purposes.
6. Create another permanent increase. Bridge tolls should be back to the current level once earthquake retrofit is completed (sunset clause).
SIGN this petition now to say "NO" to BATA on raising our Bay Area Bridge Tolls so as to protect our democracy and ordinary citizens during this difficult economic time.
For more info, visit: stopbayareabridgetolls.com