Stop the Woodfibre LNG Plant, Squamish BC
11 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
11 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
This is why it is absolutely crucial for the people of West Vancouver as well as greater Vancouver to come together and stop this plant.
- It is one of 18 proposals to build LNG terminals along the Pacific Coast and could set a dangerous precedent if approved.
- As noted by retired KPMG consultant Eoin Finn LNG tankers are categorized under Class 2 under the Maritime Dangerous Good Code for Shipping (1 being most dangerous, 9 being least dangerous). LNG tankers are massive vessels at 300 metres long (the equivalent to three football fields), 40 metres wide and 30 metres tall, are twice as big in width and height as a B.C. ferry and pose a unique threat to coastal communities if there were to ever be an explosion or accident.
- The Squamish Woodfibre LNG plant will be cooled by sea-water from Howe Sound and every hour will discharge 17,000 tonnes of water - enough to fill seven Olympic-sized swimming pools - back into the Sound at 10°C above that of the intake. Hypochlorite will be added to the discharge to reduce growth of marine fouling organisms such as mollusks and oysters. This mixture will be discharged into Howe Sound 24 hours per day year round. We are concerned about how this will impact the marine ecosystem of Howe Sound.
- The gas needed for even just five LNG terminals would increase fracking in the province, have significant impact on the lakes, rivers and streams in B.C. and would more than double BC’s current climate footprint.
- All in all, the LNG plant is a disgusting way to rid Howe Sound of its beautiful wildlife, some of which have just made their return like Dolphins, Humpback whales and even in a recent sighting an Orca Whale.