Stop the urban rezoning of the rural CSIRO Ginninderra Field Station
This petition is now closed. Thank you for your support!
The National Capital Authority (NCA) in its latest Draft of the National Capital Plan (NCP) proposes to rezone the 701 hectares Ginninderra Field Station (GFS) from "Hills, Ridges and Buffer Spaces" to an Urban Area". The Concerned CSIRO Neighbours Group opposes such a change of land-use on the basis that:
1. The rezoning contradicts most of the planning guidelines of the NCP and would remove the open space that separates Belconnen and Gungahlin. This open space between town centres is one of the central features of the NCP and is consistent with Walter Burley Griffin’s bush capital vision for Canberra.
2. No assessment or justification was provided by the NCA about why it proposes such a change of land-use except that "CSIRO requested this change". The Group does not believe this is justification for going against its own planning objectives which guide Canberra's development.
3. CSIRO's consultation with the community shows there is considerable opposition to its proposal. In recent Canberra Times articles CSIRO says that feedback on its consultation with the community “clearly shows that the more vocal view was that the site should remain as open space and should not be rezoned”.
4. It is common knowledge that CSIRO has suffered severe cuts in funding over recent years and that to allow it to redevelop this site will help recoup some of that loss of funds. The Group feels that Canberrans are being asked to subsidise a 'cash strapped' CSIRO.
5. The GFS lessens the micro climate heat generated from Gungahlin, which according to CSIRO research, is due to the high density of housing.
6. The innate pastoral beauty of the GFS landscape, along with the cultivated soils, should be preserved and a range of options to meet community interests should be explored.
7. In the event that CSIRO, in conjunction with the private sector, redevelops the site, it will not be subject to the planning controls dictated by the Territory Plan administered by the Legislative Assembly.
If you object to the rezoning and don't want to see the GFS rezoned from "Hills, Ridges and Buffer Spaces" to an "Urban Area" then please sign this online petition.
(Note: If you have already signed the hard-copy version of this petition please do not sign it again).