Stop the proposed plastic bag ban
By signing this petition, you will be showing your support for the fair treatment of WashU students as well as rational sustainability policies. Problems with the proposed ban include:
1. Penalizing all students by not forcing campus businesses to lower prices to compensate for not giving away bags at checkout.
2. Forcing students to purchase their own reusable bags, instead of providing them free of charge.
3. Protecting businesses and harming students by fining students if they request a disposable paper bag at check out, as opposed to rewarding students for being sustainable, on the grounds that such a policy would not sufficiently reeducate the student body.
4. Not recognizing that ALL plastic bags are recyclable and that many bags being distributed are also biodegradable, and failing to explore other sustainable options that do not negatively impact students.
5. Giving businesses - but not student-run businesses - an inordinate say by including four representatives of campus businesses on the 10 member Bag Use Reduction Committee, and only two who represent students.