STOP Gover Street boarding house development
Petition opposing the development of Boarding House at 18 Gover Street, Peakhurst NSW 2160
Application number: DA2017/0204
We the undersigned oppose the development of new 4 storey boarding house development comprising 28 rooms and basement parking for 37 at 18 Gover Street, Peakhurst NSW 2160.
We feel that this development will negatively impact our community in addition to posing a potential safety risk.
The welfare and safety of our community are a primary concern. Community views, wishes and needs must be addressed and as such this development application should be rejected and development of the boarding house on Gover Street in Peakhurst, NSW should be stopped.
- Devaluation of neighbouring properties
- Location will affect the whole community, not just immediate neighbours
- Developer profits being placed before community wellbeing
- Crime and safety concerns
- Economic impact
- Transient nature of users of the boarding house – short term occupancy
- No connectivity, sense of place, pride
- Unknown nature of clientele
- Lack of background and criminal checks
- Lacks full disclosure intent
- Proximity to school, parks, public pool
- Welfare and safety to community; especially at risk groups – the young and the elderly
- Invasion of neighbours’ privacy
The presence of a boarding house with 24 rooms and 37 tenants in this location will greatly impact the attractiveness, safety, cleanliness and present a drain on the existing public resources of the Gover Street/Peakhurst Area.
This development is profit based and does not provide any benefits to the existing residents of the area.
By allowing the building to be used as a profit for business the owners will ensure the boarding house remain at full occupancy therefore increasing its impact on the local community, residents and neighbourhood resources. It will increase traffic in the street and increase noise of people coming and going.
There has not been specific information provided on the target market for the new development i.e. the intended lodgers. ABS Census data from 2011 show of the people who stay in boarding houses 74.8% are male. (Source ABS Census data 2011 http://www.homelessnessaustralia.org.au/index.php/...
The demographic makeup of the space greatly increases the safety and security issues for the local residents. Gover Street also doesn't have any CCTV cameras in the street and the opening of a male dominated boarding house in the street would need resources put in by the City to ensure the safety of residents.
Allowing a boarding house in Gover St will only increase the transient population of the area and lead to anti-social behaviour and safety and security issues for existing residents.
How you can help:
- Sign this petition or go online to sign it: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-gover-street-boarding-house-development
- Write letters of objection, stating the DA Number (DA2017/0204) and reasons why it is not appropriate and send to: email@example.com
- Fill out an online form opposing the development application: http://www.georgesriver.nsw.gov.au/Council/Online-Forms/Submission-on-Development-Application
Submissions for petition signing and your comments ends 28 July 2017.