Proposed Cell Phone Tower in Southbridge
As you may or may not be aware, AT&T has submitted an application to the Metropolitan Planning Commission requesting approval to construct a 150 ft. cell phone tower within a 58 ft. X 58 ft. “compound” on a parcel of land behind the clubhouse owned by the Southbridge Golf Club. This land is located in close proximity to the homes and homesites at the end of Cedar Point Drive and to the Villas on the Green condominiums.
We understand the need to provide adequate service to customers; however, this wireless facility is commercial in nature and should not be placed in our residential neighborhood. Our opposition is in no way directed at AT&T, but an alternate, less intrusive location that will still lessen the gap in coverage should be selected.
We oppose the construction of a cell phone tower in Southbridge for the following reasons:
• A 150’ cell phone tower is not architecturally compatible with the Southbridge community.
• The installation of the tower will negatively impact home prices in its vicinity.
• The tower will be a visual eyesore for many residents in the community, particularly those with views toward the golf clubhouse.
• There are other non-residential site options in close proximity to Southbridge that were not seriously pursued.
• The health risks of long-term exposure to radio frequency emissions have yet to be determined.