Snowplowing Improvement for Albany
To: Mayor Sheehan and Commissioner Panunzio
From: Albany City Residents
Date: December 2019
Snowstorm plowing has side effects including blocked driveways. We need improvement for safety and morale. All signatures represent constituents from the Buckingham and nearby surrounding areas of Albany regarding the need for snowplowing improvement. As homeowners and taxpayers we agree to remove snow from sidewalks, walkways, and our driveways. We comply. Unfortunately, the city is failing to acknowledge our responsible efforts and outcomes. Public street plowing, provided by DGS, is creating an undue burden on residents. Plows are blocking driveways as we shovel and snow blow; as we sleep at night; as we head inside after hours of work doing our part as responsible citizens; and after our paid snow services depart. Following are some suggestions. Please
- require all DGS employee to yield to pedestrians.
- require snowplow operators to slow down likely decreasing snow spray.
- require snowplow operators to push snow to the curb every third or half block. Although this is more time consuming it is reasonable for operators to do this at night.
- consider tandem teams of snow removal operators such as plow trucks followed by smaller snow blowing or curb pushing vehicles.
- consider use of snow gates or improved snow boots on plows throughout smaller storms or at the end of larger storms.
- require snowplow operators to angle all plows in the direction of a berm on streets and roads with only one side of homes.
- consider snow removal in addition to plowing to decrease snow bank blockages.
- consider an Operation Snowflake similar to http://www.townofcortlandt.com/cn/webpage.cfm?tpid=15847. Perhaps community service credit could be provided rather than hourly wages. Perhaps registered youth participants could be assigned specific city blocks or assigned specific homes. If an Operation Snowflake program is created perhaps it could be partnered with a senior citizen / disabled citizen registration list.