SKSD Family Choice for Return to School
UPDATE: ON MONDAY, AUGUST 10th, THE SKSD SCHOOL BOARD VOTED (4-1) TO START THE SCHOOL YEAR WITH REMOTE LEARNING FOR ALL STUDENTS FOR AT LEAST THE FIRST 9 WEEKS. FAMILIES CAN SELECT THE SK ONLINE OR SK FLEX. STUDENTS THAT CHOOSE SK FLEX WILL BE TRANSITIONED BACK TO THE CLASSROOM WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.
South Kitsap School District (SKSD) Families for Offering Choices needs your help in supporting the already approved plan to offer two options to our families as they prepare for returning to school in the Fall.
- SK Online Academy (fully remote)
- SK Flex Model (2 days in person / 3 days remote)
SKSD Families for Offering Choices is a group started by parents of students in the South Kitsap School District. The SKSD Board has scheduled a Special Meeting to reconsider the already approved plan on Monday, August 10th. It is our mission to ensure accountability to the parents in our community by offering choices for online and in person options for learning on September 8, 2020.
The SKSD Board of Directors have already approved this plan. They need to hold firm and follow the science and the recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to work towards reopening schools in the Fall. If SKSD reverses their decision to offer choices, when will our children ever be able to return to school? Governor Inslee's education recommendations make it nearly impossible to even consider returning to in person learning for the entire school year.
- If you are a tax paying citizen within the SKSD we urge you to let your voice be heard!
- If you are a parent, family member, loved one, and/or caregiver for a student in the SKSD we urge you to let your voice be heard!
- If you are an educator in the SKSD we urge you to advocate for effectively educating our children and offering choices to parents!
You are making a direct impact on a child’s life by telling them, their families, and the SKSD Board of Directors that you care for each and every student in our community. By signing this position, you demand for the SKSD Board of Directors to hear your voice and keep the plan to offer choices in our community.
You can further support SKSD Families for Offering Choices by the following actions:
- Submit public comment in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the August 10th SKSD Special Meeting
- Subject line: Public Comments and include your first and last name and city of residence.
- Attend the SKSD Special Meeting on August 10th via Zoom
Thank you for partnering with us to support offering choices to parents in educating our children.
ALL SIGNATURES AND COMMENTS WERE SUBMITTED VIA EMAIL IN AN ATTACHED PDF AS REQUIRED ABOVE AND COPIED TO ALL DIRECTORS AT 12:40pm ON AUGUST 10TH - PRIOR TO THE SKSD SPECIAL MEETING AT 4:00pm.
A link to the petition was also provided so that additional signatures and comments received after the PDF submission can be viewed by the Board members if they so choose.